We’ve had a rather sleek, classic looking boat sitting next to us in the marina for maintenance for a few days, and we keep seeing people coming up to it and take photos. It looked familiar… then it dawned on us: it’s Pinuccia, the Italian yacht, reportedly once owned by Mussolini, that we saw in St Mawes last year!
Tuesday, 14th May:
Today we established early on that we wouldn’t be needed on the boat, so set off to Truro to visit Marks & Spencers and get it over with: new trousers for Dominic. Deed done, we visited the three spired Gothic Revival cathedral which is strangely cramped into the town centre. We found out that it was only completed in 1910, which explains the plot size as it took the place of the parish church of St Marys. The stained glass is amazing. Worth visiting just for that!
After lunch at the Wheel Inn in Tressilian, we spent the afternoon at The Lost Gardens of Heligan. What an amazing place! Heligan Manor was first built in the 1200s and was sold to the Tremayne family in 1569. The development of the gardens as we see them took place 1766 – 1914. The ‘Lost’ years refer to 1914-1990. “At least thirteen of Heligan’s outdoor staff served in World War 1, nine tragically gave their lives. Soon afterwards, Jack Tremayne left Heligan and rented it out saying he could ‘no longer live with the ghosts’. The Gardens became …lost.” In 1990 the derelict gardens were discovered by Tim Smit and John Willis, a Tremayne descendant. Clearance and restoration has since then been ongoing with many volunteers involved – a labour of love!
We really enjoyed the sculptures hidden in the woodlands.
And walked through amazing rhododendron dells.
We entered the Jungle and went across the Burmese rope bridge and had a lovely coffee break sitting on the grass with birds and trees and flowers all around us!